This cocktail is a summery twist on a classic Negroni, and makes a refreshing apéritif on a balmy evening.
The secret to this cocktail is infusing the gin with strawberries in advance of making the cocktail - you can do it the night before, but 2 or 3 days before serving is even better. It's incredible how the bright, fruity flavor of the strawberries completely transfers to the gin.
- 2 oz strawberry-infused gin (see notes below)
- 1 oz Aperol
- 1 oz Martini Rosso
- 1 dash orange bitters
- Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice, and shake.
- Serve over ice in a short glass.
To make the strawberry infused gin:
- Use around 1 cup of strawberries to 1 cup of gin.
- Wash and remove the stems from the strawberries, and quarter.
- Put the strawberries in an airtight vessel (we used a mason jar) and cover with gin.
- Allow the gin to infuse with strawberries overnight, or up to 5 nights.
- Strain the mixture before serving, and discard the strawberries - all the color and flavor from the fruit will have transferred to the gin.