Summer is almost upon us, and Pimms really is the ultimate cocktail for a sunny afternoon.
I've revamped the classic Pimms cup (traditionally served simply with lemonade) to make things a little more exciting. This recipe sees the addition of basil and strawberries, which adds a lively summery note, plus ginger beer which adds a nice bite. Overall, it's just as refreshing as the classic version, but with a little more complexity.
This makes 1 drink. To make a pitcher for sharing, multiply this recipe by 4.
- 1.5 oz Pimms No1
- 0.5 oz Gin (note: we used Bombay Sapphire East, which is infused with additional botanicals like Thai Lemongrass and Vietnamese Black Peppercorns, and evokes an exotic eastern flavor).
- 2oz Ginger beer
- 2oz Sprite
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 strawberries, sliced
- 1 orange slice
- 2 cucumber slices, and 1 baton for stirring
- 4 basil leaves, slapped to release their flavor
- Ice cubes - these awesome trays make big 2-inch cubes that don't melt too fast!
- Large cocktail glasses; we used balloon glasses, but these highball glasses would be great too.
- Add ice, followed by the fruit, to the cocktail glass (or pitcher).
- Then 'activate' the basil to release the aromatic oil (and therefore the flavor). Do this by spanking (!) the leaves between the palms of your hands, and then add to the glass.
- Now add the Pimms, Gin, and lemon juice, and stir (I used these swizzle sticks, which would also look nice served in the cocktail glasses).
- Top off with ginger beer and sprite, and a cucumber baton as garnish. Cheers!