These pancakes are really delicious. They are so fluffy, and the flavor of coconut comes through beautifully. They are delicious just as they are, and they also work well with a variety of toppings. Here I have paired them with caramelized pineapple and vanilla ice cream.
Preparation time: 10 minutes / Cooking time: Around 25 minutes for the whole batch (using 1 pan)
SERVES 4-6 (makes around 12 pancakes)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (liquid), plus more for cooking
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 pineapple (fresh or tinned). When choosing a fresh pineapple, you know it's ripe if one of the middle leaves pulls out easily.
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Vanilla bean ice cream, to serve
METHOD - TOPPING
- Peel and core the pineapple, then cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Roll the pineapple pieces in sugar to lightly coat.
- Set the saucepan to medium heat, and add the coconut oil. Fry the pineapple, turning occasionally, until the sugar starts to caramelize - around 7 minutes. The pineapple pieces will turn a little golden, and the fruit juice will mix with the sugar to form a pineapple syrup.
- Set aside until pancakes are ready.
METHOD - PANCAKES
- Mix the vinegar and milk in a bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to "sour".
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make sure the dry ingredients are well combined and not lumpy.
- Add the eggs, coconut cream, and coconut oil to the milk mixture, and whisk together.
- Then add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and gently mix to combine. You want the mixture to be light and fluffy, so don't over-stir. It doesn't matter if there are a few small lumps in the batter.
- Set your saucepan to a medium-low heat, and cover with coconut oil for cooking. Add 2-3 heaped tablespoons of the mixture for each pancake. Wait until bubbles form on the surface, then flip. If you are serving a crowd, you can have 2 or 3 saucepans on the go at once.
- Serve with caramelized pineapple pieces, syrup, and vanilla bean ice cream. If you want even more sauce, add some extra maple syrup!